I cheaped out. There I said it. The factory KYB branded lift gate struts still worked, as long as they were warm, but it was time to replace them. I talked to Lithia about replacements, but when I heard the $200 each price I started looking for other options.
After a little research I ended up picking up the Monroe pieces from Amazon:
For less than a 10th of the price of the originals I figured it was worth the gamble. They certainly have more resistance closing than what the stocks had left in them. I’m usually the first to say “just buy stock”, but the cost was just too much when they can easily be replaced if they do fail again, and these certainly won’t keep you from making it home if they don’t make it the same 18 years the originals did.